My presence on cognitive presence

• What do I know now that I did not know prior to starting the course

I didn’t know the percentage distribution of post according to the practical inquiry model. As measured by Garrison, Anderson, and Archer (2004), trigger phase having 8%, exploration phase having 42%, integration having 13%, and resolution having 4% is interesting.

• What gaps or discrepancies do I notice between your ideas in post 1 and what I have learned in lesson 1?

Oh I get it;trying to make me reflect on my past to help me move to higher order thinking are ya! Nice try.

One discrepancy would be my response that engaging content was the most important aspect of online learning. It appears Garrison, Anderson, and Archer (2004) placed more emphasis on the teacher and the processes they use to support students to critically engage with the content.

• What questions would you like to explore on the topic of cognitive presence?

What processes do more successful online learning teachers take to encourage students to critical think and engage with content.

• Provide and example of how you have seen effective cognitive presence modeled in online learning.

In one online course I appreciated when the teacher went beyond the general introductory step and directly responded to one of my posts. Seeing the teacher take time to comment to a level where it showed they actually read was appreciated. It made me more likely to put effort into future posts; if they cared than I would respond in kind.

Cael Field

Garrison, D. R., Anderson, T., & Archer, W. (2001). Critical thinking, cognitive presence, and computer conferencing in distance education. American Journal of Distance Education, 15, 7-23. doi:10.1080/08923640109527071